Remember the original Up From Here block? 24 and a half inches square? and I had 2 of them and just enough fabric left to fool around a bit with?
Here’s the original block:
Here’s what I did with it:
I think that will be it, though. No borders – I think that would detract from the design.
- it was pretty easy to fool around with this block design – the measurements were already there for me and all I had to do was figure out how to apply them using the fabric I had left
- I only had to pick out 3 small seams…
- I love this fabric line! – Paris & Company – glad I have about a fat quarter left of each fabric so I can make another project with them – or maybe I will piece them together somehow for the backing
If you like the block, here’s the link to the PDF file again:
This weekend I was inspired by a member of my Modern Quilt Guild: Ann took one big block and surrounded it with a solid. I thought it was very striking! This is her block:
The next day I happened to be doing a paper purge on my sewing desk and found a pattern from the Sew Mama Sew blog for a big (24.5 inches square!) modern block called Up From Here. It was calling my name…..
Sew, following the instructions from the blog PDF file (http://www.sewmamasew.com/march2013/MarchBOM2.pdf), I quickly whipped up 2 blocks.
Not sure how I will finish the design yet as I did not have enough background fabric to make any more blocks but I do have enough to play around a bit.
Interesting note on the process: it was recommended to press seams open, which I did and actually found a little awkward, as I have been pressing all seams to one side for some time now…
The art that is Sashiko is incredibly beautiful and traditionally done by hand.
This Japanese kimono at the Metropolitan Museum of Art is from the Meiji period (1868–1912). It is Indigo-dyed plain-weave cotton, quilted and embroidered with white cotton thread. Stunning!
I prefer to work by machine and decided to follow a pattern (Crane 1) from the book Sensational Sashiko by Sharon Pederson. I chose non- traditional colours for a fresh look and basically I like the piece but there is a small problem. Can you see it? It is glaring to me.
Can you see it now? LOL
I washed the piece which I don’t usually do with my art pieces and there it is: right smack on the beak – some residue from the PERMANENT red marker I used for the freezer paper applique process.
I just don’t know what to do with it. Any suggestions?
P.S. The bleach pen (starts with a T) did not work. 😦
I enrolled in the Craftsy Block of the Month 2012 Class (great class and free too!) and the May block was a Modern Log Cabin – one of many versions out there. Here’s my block and some comments on the process I followed to get there.
Things I did do:
- fussy cut the centre
- looked for colours that I felt matched
- squared up the block between frames
- pressed each seam
- used scissors & a rotary cutter
- used old style prints AND modern solids
- pieced everything by machine
- had a focal point (the deer)
- used a non-traditional colour palette
- changed the format of the original block into a frame, instead of an L (per the Craftsy pattern)
Things I did not do:
- use pins
- use high contrast (not strictly light paired with dark)
- centre the fussy cut centre block
- worry about 1/4 ” seams
- worry about the width of the strips
- worry about perfection
- are we seeing a pattern here about not worrying….LOL
This is not the only way you could modernize the log cabin block. I followed the directions in the Craftsy class (http://www.craftsy.com/). It was very improvisational and some people might not like that aspect but I did. It made me a little more free with my own design choices and stepping outside your comfortable box is always a good thing, in my mind.