Rayna advocates taking an orphan block and cutting it up, adding to it, cutting again, adding again, etc. until you are a happy camper. Here goes….
This is half of a block I made experimenting with fonts on my HV machine. I cut it in half before I decided to take a pic.
I worked on it for about an hour and at NO point during the process did I think I would be happy with the result but I am always OK with experimentation. I cut up a couple of other orphan blocks in the same colour family, used a little marbled fabric I had made and added a touch of green.
This is the new finished block, which is not a square, but I quite like it:
Like it so much that I am going to do other blocks in other colours and put them altogether in one big quilt. I am anticipating quite a scrappy look….
Oh, and Rayna says to keep all cut off scraps for a future improv block so here they are:
I finished by organizing some of of my pieces of pieces into colour piles.
Now I am going to put a zipper in a skirt for a pattern I am testing. That should be fun…