The inspiration for my January project was an image that included snowflakes and the words “hello January” and “peace”. I wanted a gold on gold/beige or off-white background with a snowflake that looked lacy and delicate.
The piece was going to be about 24 x 24″ but when I started piecing the background with a gold fleur-de-lis fabric and a beige upholstery remnant, it looked too linear. I cut it up and started working with a piece of fabric about 12 by 15 inches.
Assembling the materials, I had Glimmer Mist, Stickles, various pieces of jewellery I will never wear again, a piece of ribbon trim, some brads, an old doily and a belt buckle, all in antique gold shades.
Over a few weeks I worked on the piece, occasionally leaving it for a couple of days to allow myself to view it with a fresh eye. Eventually there was a transformation: it no longer bore any resemblance to my inspiration image and I’m not even sure if it looks wintery.
Now I need a name for it – any ideas? “Winter of my Discontent”?
Friday marked the beginning of a 6 week Mixed Media class at Toronto School of Art with Jacqueline Treloar. Having failed Grade 9 Art, I feel there is nowhere to go but up.
I am a blank page
I decided to work on what I consider one of the ugliest fabrics in my entire collection:
After a demo on acrylic paints & inks, squeegees and rollers, I set out to change this monetary monstrosity. First I used a pinkish acrylic ink with a roller over part of it but this was barely noticeable. I added some red and blue horizontal splotches with a squeegee. Then, at Jacqueline’s suggestion, I lay down painter’s tape in vertical stripes across the piece and painted rough red lines off the tape. I highlighted the straight side of the red stripe with very thin lines of white acrylic and defined them even further with a blue pencil. Class was over.
Not sure where this is going….
At home, I sandwiched it, picked out a variegated thread to match and did some straight line quilting to accent the vertical stripes even more.
Hanging in my kitchen now! $$$$$$$$
I am working on a special quilt for my brother who is a biker, retired police officer and guitar man. This song title popped into my head for some reason and I played the YouTube video for some inspiration. Note how it is spelled “Guitarzan” in the video description yet the CD/album cover clearly spells it “Gitarzan” … now I know “guitar” is spelled “guitar” and logically it follows that the song would be “Guitarzan” but it is curious now to me that I am arguing in point for the illogical yet chosen spelling (by the songwriter) when normally I would be arguing in favour of proper spelling…oooh the irony ….or is it the dichotomy – God, I love words.
Needless to say that the song was not that inspirational but I continued to quilt the piece anyway.
not so pretty close-up – hope it gets better
Today I am working on a Modern Quilting technique: Improv Piecing. Some people who teach the concept are Rayna Gillman and Victoria Findlay Wolfe .
Rayna advocates taking an orphan block and cutting it up, adding to it, cutting again, adding again, etc. until you are a happy camper. Here goes….
half o’ peace
This is half of a block I made experimenting with fonts on my HV machine. I cut it in half before I decided to take a pic.
I worked on it for about an hour and at NO point during the process did I think I would be happy with the result but I am always OK with experimentation. I cut up a couple of other orphan blocks in the same colour family, used a little marbled fabric I had made and added a touch of green.
This is the new finished block, which is not a square, but I quite like it:
first block for Give Piece a Chance quilt
Like it so much that I am going to do other blocks in other colours and put them altogether in one big quilt. I am anticipating quite a scrappy look….
Oh, and Rayna says to keep all cut off scraps for a future improv block so here they are:
pieces of pieces
I finished by organizing some of of my pieces of pieces into colour piles.
Now I am going to put a zipper in a skirt for a pattern I am testing. That should be fun…