Friday marked the beginning of a 6 week Mixed Media class at Toronto School of Art with Jacqueline Treloar. Having failed Grade 9 Art, I feel there is nowhere to go but up.
I am a blank page
I decided to work on what I consider one of the ugliest fabrics in my entire collection:
After a demo on acrylic paints & inks, squeegees and rollers, I set out to change this monetary monstrosity. First I used a pinkish acrylic ink with a roller over part of it but this was barely noticeable. I added some red and blue horizontal splotches with a squeegee. Then, at Jacqueline’s suggestion, I lay down painter’s tape in vertical stripes across the piece and painted rough red lines off the tape. I highlighted the straight side of the red stripe with very thin lines of white acrylic and defined them even further with a blue pencil. Class was over.
Not sure where this is going….
At home, I sandwiched it, picked out a variegated thread to match and did some straight line quilting to accent the vertical stripes even more.
Hanging in my kitchen now! $$$$$$$$
Today I am working on a Modern Quilting technique: Improv Piecing. Some people who teach the concept are Rayna Gillman and Victoria Findlay Wolfe .
Rayna advocates taking an orphan block and cutting it up, adding to it, cutting again, adding again, etc. until you are a happy camper. Here goes….
half o’ peace
This is half of a block I made experimenting with fonts on my HV machine. I cut it in half before I decided to take a pic.
I worked on it for about an hour and at NO point during the process did I think I would be happy with the result but I am always OK with experimentation. I cut up a couple of other orphan blocks in the same colour family, used a little marbled fabric I had made and added a touch of green.
This is the new finished block, which is not a square, but I quite like it:
first block for Give Piece a Chance quilt
Like it so much that I am going to do other blocks in other colours and put them altogether in one big quilt. I am anticipating quite a scrappy look….
Oh, and Rayna says to keep all cut off scraps for a future improv block so here they are:
pieces of pieces
I finished by organizing some of of my pieces of pieces into colour piles.
Now I am going to put a zipper in a skirt for a pattern I am testing. That should be fun…
I am not a big fan of applique but I got my hands on a Cow Picture Quilt kit by Malec Designs and thought I would give it a go – I might even grow to like applique, who knows?
The kit included a master drawing, instructions and freezer paper as well as 8 – 8 x 10 inch pieces of fabric. Here is the selection of fabrics, all numbered on PostIt Notes and ready to be cut.
I think the hardest part so far has been deciding which fabric to use for the various parts of the cow’s face.
I had to trace and label all the pattern pieces onto the freezer paper and then cut them out and iron them to the right side of the fabric pieces. Can anyone see where this might be a problem??? Don’t worry, I am very organized so all is good.
Here are some of the fabric pieces all covered up with freezer paper:
one big mess right now
Then you start to glue all the pieces together with a washable glue. Not hard to do but a little messy. Good think I wasn’t wearing my good Onesie. When you are done, you have something that looks like this:
ghost cow LOL
I am really hoping at this point that I used the right fabric for each section. Could be a very strange looking cow if I didn’t…
Stay tuned for the reveal!
The art that is Sashiko is incredibly beautiful and traditionally done by hand.
This Japanese kimono at the Metropolitan Museum of Art is from the Meiji period (1868–1912). It is Indigo-dyed plain-weave cotton, quilted and embroidered with white cotton thread. Stunning!
I prefer to work by machine and decided to follow a pattern (Crane 1) from the book Sensational Sashiko by Sharon Pederson. I chose non- traditional colours for a fresh look and basically I like the piece but there is a small problem. Can you see it? It is glaring to me.
Can you see it now? LOL
I washed the piece which I don’t usually do with my art pieces and there it is: right smack on the beak – some residue from the PERMANENT red marker I used for the freezer paper applique process.
I just don’t know what to do with it. Any suggestions?
P.S. The bleach pen (starts with a T) did not work. 😦
Finished this up today from a workshop I took in February. Sometimes you only learn one or 2 things but this was a little smorgasbord of techniques!
What it promised:
- how to use some decorative stitches on your sewing machine
- the functions of a twin needle and wing needle (had them but had no idea what to do with them)
- the quilt-as-you-go technique
What I got in addition:
- how to make circles without the use of a $50 attachment
- how to make a monogram without an embroidery machine
- how to use 1 inch strips of batting (which might normally be thrown away) and strips of fabric to make a basket weave block
This is not Modern Quilting – looks more like an heirloom piece to me – but I love it!
Thank you, Susan Gatewood, wherever you are.